Sunday, April 11, 2010

Do You Want Frites With That?


I can’t believe that week 3 has already arrived but at the same time it feels like I’ve been in France for months, without acquiring the accompanying language skills of course. But the city no longer seems like a baffling labyrinth of shuttered windows and dog poop covered streets. Slightly graphic but very accurate, trust me.

Week 2 included actual academic obligations, hanging out at the Pailais des Papes, and political discussions with Joelle. Normally, this would be an extremely dangerous subject, especially when my contributions were in poorly constructed French. But luckily, Joelle and I are both very liberal. She said that while Catholicism is still important in France it doesn’t have the power it used to, which I’d argue is true almost everywhere. When I asked her what she knew about religion in the United States, much to my horror, she talked about the Tea Partiers. Glenn Beck and his Tea Partiers are how the world sees religion today in America. I will single handedly attempt to change this in the next couple of months. But despite my chagrin, it was still a fascinating conversation, getting to know how someone from the outside sees my culture.

Actually, I’ve seen many hints of American culture in Avignon. Universite d’Avignon’s cafeteria plays a radio station that seems to specialize in American music, especially Fireflies. If I thought I was sick of that song before I left the States…I had no idea. Kim and I went up to the gardens of the Pailais des Papes to study and there were two guys next to us listening to Ben Folds and discussing things like Twilight. American 90’s dance music videos, a McDonald’s. But I’m glad to say that I have yet to see a single Starbucks. French coffee is safe from the burnt coffee giant. I think I will start interpreting the examples of American culture that I see through the French perspective, looking for actual French music, and avoiding the temptation of the golden arches.

American Culture aside, I've gotten more practice with the famous French cheek kiss this week. I'm still incredibly awkward at it but now I can actually recognize when someone is trying to do it! And it feels very French, like carrying a baguette or wearing black and white stripes.

Classes are starting to get more substantial. The professors aren't buying our shell-shocked expressions anymore and we actually have to do work now. I think this week will be a game of catch up with many visits to French cafés in between to feed my espresso addiction. Times I’ve tripped in France: steady at 5.

3 comments:

  1. Much to my horror, there's a Starbuck's in the Louvre

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOOO!!! So far I haven't found one in Avignon. I mean come on. France is home of the cafe. Starbucks should have no power here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, dude! They play so much American music in Spain--Fireflies included! They're in love with Lady Gaga and such. It's crazy. I heard some Backstreet Boys in our little cafe at the university. It's so similar to you guys. Haha, wow. I think we'll be going to Paris one weekend in late May/early June. I don't know how free your weekends are, but I'm totally excited. I was looking at my French phrasebook last night. I fail at French, haha. Spain and France sound so similar (other than the language). I'm glad you're having a good time--I am as well. You should come visit and I'll come visit. Spain is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete